This is one of the first questions asked by the vast majority of potential storage customers, however, it is not always the right question to base your decision on!
Putting it simply, there is storage and then there is storage!
When selecting where to store your belongings there are many things to consider:
- Location – this is key – do you want to access your things or not? Can the storage be far away (cheaper) or on your doorstep (more convenient)?
- Security – does the store have all the latest security features? Will your things be safe?
- Cleanliness – is it a clean and tidy environment?
- Access – do you need 24 hr access 7 days a week or can you do with ‘normal’ hours 5 or 6 days a week?
- Storage unit size – do they have the right size storage room for your things?
- Price – of course, this has to be a consideration but should not be your only one.
When you’re using self-storage for long periods of time, it makes sense to shop around for the best price before filtering your options in-line with your other requirements.
Storage unit price per sq. ft.
Storage units are measured in square feet – or sq. ft. for short!
For example, when you are shown a 25 sq.ft. unit you will be looking at a space that is roughly 5ft long by 5ft wide. A 100 sq.ft. room is roughly 10ft long by 10 foot wide, and so on.
Check out our size guide to help you gauge what size storage room is right for you
The price per sq.ft. differs depending on the storage unit size you are interested in. The smaller storage units are slightly more expensive per sq. ft. than the bigger ones – storage is like most things – the more you buy, the cheaper it is per sq. ft.!
Prices of storage units
Taking all the points above into consideration below is a sample of the prices of some of the more popular storage rooms at 3D Space Storage (*prices correct at time of writing)
The prices of the following size storage rooms from:
- 10 sq.ft. – £85 for 4 weeks
- 25 sq.ft. – £164 for 4 weeks
- 50 sq.ft. – £274 for 4 weeks
NOTE – there is currently a 50% OFF your first 4 weeks deal on the prices mentioned above.
Storage unit special offers and deals
Many storage operators offer special introductory offers for new customers – 3D Space Storage offers 50% off your first 4 weeks storage with a minimum stay of 4 weeks.
Calculating prices using weeks or months can also be confusing when you’re trying to compare how much a self-storage unit would cost at different facilities. If a company presents a price in months, and a competitor presents it in weeks, you may find yourself needing to do some addition to work out the exact amounts – don’t just assume they’re for the same time period.
Long-term self-storage offers
The longer you store, the bigger your potential savings. If self-storage is a long term option for you or your business it would be advisable to ask about longer-term pre-payment agreements and payment options. Below is the same storage unit in the same location one is paid for monthly whilst the other has received a discount for paying 12 months upfront. Paying upfront isn’t always feasible, but it definitely has it’s benefits.
Pre-paying for 26 weeks
50% off for the first 4 weeks
6.5% off the rest of your invoice.
Pre-paying for 52 weeks
50% off for the first 4 weeks
15% off the rest of your storage invoice!
Price vs quality
It can be tempting to opt for the cheapest quote when selecting self-storage, but this isn’t necessarily the best way to choose a home for your prized possessions. Selecting the right provider for your storage ensures that your specific needs are met. Things to consider are;
- The people – are there friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people on hand to help you make the right decisions for you?
- Location – Inner-city storage vs outer city
- How far are you willing to travel?
- Is the storage site easy to get to when you need to go (I.e. rush hour/peak times)?
- How do storage prices differ between locations?
- Storage unit size – do they offer rooms that meet your requirements?
- If you need help deciding which size storage unit you would need, depending on how much you need to store, this blog post can help with handy size equations to rooms in a house!
- Can you fit everything into your storage unit?
- Flexibility – can you move up or down a storage room size easily if you need to?
- Parking – is there on-site parking, or room for a van?
- Access – is it limited or is it 24/7 access?
- Security – is there CCTV, and other measures to ensure the safety of your stuff?
- Rental period – how long do you need your unit for and is there a minimum rental period?
Alternatives to storage units
There are other options to self-storage that can be considered when you’re looking into a suitable place to store your things, and they are:
Container storage is an option which allows you to store your items in a shipping container.
The questions that need to be asked about this method of self-storage are simple: are you happy with your items being stored in a container which could be stored outdoors? Does a container offer the same security or enough security for what you are storing? Also, the areas that containers are normally stored in aren’t always the most secure locations.
Another alternate option to storage units is a self-storage collection service which provides boxes for you to fill with your items and then collects them and stores them in a unit for you. You can only store, however, things that fit into boxes. If you have any large items this will not work for you.
The service also provides retrieval and collection deliveries so that you can request items to be brought back to you and stored.
However, there are some disadvantages to this method of self-storage. Since this is a collection service, the items you store can often be stored far away from you in their facilities which means that you won’t have instant access to your items when you need them. There could be damage caused to your items during transport since the transporters aren’t aware of what is in the boxes you have given them. Finally, whenever you do want something retrieved from storage and brought to you, there is a fee – if you’re having things collected and then retrieved often, that cost will rack up quite considerably.
How to compare storage facilities, is it all about price?
When looking for a storage unit price seems to be the most important factor to consider. We would also advise carefully considering the following before making any final decisions:
Make sure you are happy with the location of your chosen storage unit facility. There is nothing worse than having to go out of your way to get to your storage facility or if it difficult for you to park/unload, which brings us onto the next consideration.
Make sure you can park securely and make sure it is close to your storage room. Nobody wants a 10 min walk with their things on a trolley before you actually get to your storage area.
You might not be looking to visit your storage unit at all hours of the day, but make sure the access hours work for you and your needs. If you need 24/7 access with 3D Space Storage then just ask – we can sort it out for FREE for you.
Loading bays & trolleys
You’ll be grateful when you get to your facility and find a loading bay with trolleys provided. Make sure you ask before moving in if these are available and where they are stored, they definitely help with the loading and unloading process.
Benefits of renting a storage unit with us:
If you’re wondering what is included in the price, here’s what you would get if you were storing with 3D Space Storage:
- 24/7 controlled access to your unit – they’re your belongings, so you can visit them whenever you please!
- FREE INSURANCE included in our great prices.
- FREE use of a padlock for the duration of your stay.
- FREE wifi throughout our stores.
- Use of trollies to transport your things safely.
- Packaging supplies available on-site or delivered to your door.
- Your own personal keypad code, which allows you secure access to the building.
- Ample parking.
- 50% off your first 4 weeks storage.
- 12 month Price Fix Guarantee – no cheeky price rises after just a few months.
- Price Match Guarantee – against any comparable quote within a mile of our front door!
Other storage unit facilities will offer similar, but possibly not all, of the services mentioned above. Research is crucial to find out exactly what it is that you want to be offered, and what you do or don’t need from your facility.
Other storage costs to consider
Packaging material –self-storage boxes
Call your storage company to see if they offer packaging supplies. Many of them do and cost-wise, it might be easier and more convenient to buy directly from them.
Also, consider costs of tape, bubble wrap and other materials needed. Where possible use household items such as clothing, bedsheets, etc. to minimise these costs.
You can buy these supplies from us on-site or they can be delivered to your door – click here to buy packaging supplies online!
Insuring your belongings is a must – after all, they’re insured in your home or when you’re on holiday, so keep them insured when they’re in storage too.
Unlike other storage operators, we include insurance for FREE in our great prices. The amount varies with the different sizes of storage rooms – the bigger the unit the more insurance is included. If you want even more insurance then this can easily be sorted out as well.
Depending on the storage facility you are storing with, you may need to research into what kind of locks the units use and whether you will need to purchase a padlock or lock for your unit.
We want to keep the whole process simple so we include the FREE use of a padlock for the duration of your stay should you wish.
All customers at 3D Space Storage are required to pay a security deposit (roughly 2 weeks storage fee). However, as long as you return the storage room completely empty and clean at the end of your stay and you are fully paid up then this should be refunded in full once you vacate the store.
We have a comprehensive FAQs section and if you have any further questions simply get in touch via our chat or give us a call and we’ll be delighted to answer any questions.